Alistair was Deputy Director of Grizedale Arts from 2004 until 2015, before moving initially to become Director of the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art and now to take on the post of Director of Manchester Art Gallery and the Whitworth.
Amongst many roles whilst here, Alistair was Lead Officer on Grizedale's contribution to the Creative Egremont public art programme, working with Karen Guthrie on various initiatives in the West Cumbria town. He also led a group of UK artists to China for the project Happy Stacking.
Alistair was appointed in July 2004, having previously worked as Projects Curator for the Government Art Collection, where, amongst other things, he worked with Liam Gillick on a public art project for the new Home Office building.
- The Return of the Seven Samurai
- Sao Paulo Biennial (Brazil)
- Creative Egremont: A Public Art Strategy for Egremont
- Romantic Detachment
- Cumbriana Proof
- Coniston Institute (Re) Development Programme
- Late at Tate (a re-enactment of works and projects from 1999–2009)
- Virtually Grizedale
- Coniston Institute Library