Adam Sutherland was appointed Grizedale Arts' Director in March 1999. He was previously director of art.tm, a visual arts organisation in rural Scotland.
Adam leads Grizedale Arts' core development - curating on and off-site projects, writing, liaising between GA and its local communities and working with artists at all stages from concept development to making and producing. He also lives as a residential warden at the HQ Lawson Park, hosting volunteers, guests and visitors there. His cooking is legendary, with Lawson Park produce and local game a speciality.
Additionally to his prodigious activity at Grizedale Arts, Adam has curated projects with commissioners such as Hauser & Wirth Somerset, Irish Museum of Modern Art (Dublin), PS1 / MoMA in New York and Jerwood Visual Arts in London.
He also produces ceramics for installations by artist Laure Prouvost and others, collects vintage rare soul vinyl, tries to keep bonsai and acquires interesting things for the Lawson Park Collection.
- Nature Table Against Nature Table Curator & Maker
- Roadshow Curator
- The Village Table Cook
- A Fair Land Curator & Cook
- Now I Gotta Reason Co-curator
- The Land We Live In, The Land We Left Behind Curator
- Good Crop, Bad Crop Director
- The 10 Year Expanded Dream of Kiwanasato Curator
- In A Dark Place Curator
- A Life in Stitches Curator
- Making Everyday Curator & Potter
- Making, A Life Curator
- Romantic Detachment Director
- London Transport Oystercard Artist
- The Return of the Seven Samurai Curator
- A Different Weekend Curator
- The Politics Of Craft: After Ford 151 Curator
- Let's Get Married Today Curator
- House of Ferment Curator & Cook
- Grizedale Live Curator
- New Methods of Diversification and Sustainability Speaker
- Cumbriana Proof Curator
- Virtually Grizedale Curator / Performer
- It Rocks, But Gently Curator
- Great Escape Curator